LONDON — Copa Airlines has announced this week that passengers flying into Argentina between June 24 and June 26 will be affected by a national strike called by the General Confederation of Labor through the adhesion of the United Aeronautic Unions on Monday, June 25 for 24 hours.
The carrier said the following in a statement: “Copa Airlines reiterates its commitment to the highest standards in terms of safety and quality of service, and encourages all travelers, whose itineraries could be affected by this situation outside the Company, to consult and be aware of the status of their flights or contacting the Call Center of your country.”
IMPORTANTE: Informamos que debido al paro nacional convocado en Argentina, nuestras operaciones desde y hacia este país se verán afectadas durante los días 24, 25 y 26 de junio. Ingresa a https://t.co/SSkbYli4A0 para conocer detalles sobre los vuelos y alternativas. pic.twitter.com/BAFRBKoYIE
— Copa Airlines (@CopaAirlines) June 22, 2018
The carrier has both canceled and rescheduled flights based on such strike action to cause as little disruptance as possible to their overall network.
The following flights are being canceled due to such strike action:
- CM454 & CM363 – Panama to Ezeiza – Cancelled June 24
- CM124 – Panama to Cordoba – Cancelled June 24
- CM278 & CM364 – Ezeiza to Panama – Cancelled June 25
- CM125 – Cordoba to Panama – Cancelled June 25
The following flights are being rescheduled:
- CM805 – Panama to Rosario – Departure time changed from 1519 local to 1322 local – June 24.
- CM101 – Panama to Cordoba – Departure time changed from 1556 local to 1350 local – June 24.
- CM420 – Panama to Mendoza – Departure time changed from 1540 local to 1342 local – June 24.
- CM279 – Panama to Ezeiza – Departure time changed from 1210 local to 1600 local – June 25.
- CM453 – Ezeiza to Panama – Departure time changed from 1244am local to 2330 local – June 25.
- CM806 – Rosario to Panama – Departure time changed from 0121 local to 2330 local – June 25.
- CM100 – Cordoba to Panama – Departure time changed from 0144 local to 2340 local – June 25.
- CM421 – Mendoza to Panama – Departure time changed from 0134 local to 2330 local – June 25.
- CM453 – Ezeiza to Panama – Departure time changed from 1244am local to 0230 local – June 26.
The carrier has opened themselves up to passengers and has offered the opportunity of making date changes in their itineraries at no additional cost, for flights to and from Argentina, but state the following conditions:
- Passengers with tickets issued until June 21 and with original flight dates between June 25 and 26, 2018
- The deadline to make changes to flights is June 28, 2018, and the new itinerary must begin before July 3, 2018, inclusive or according to the validity of your ticket
- Tickets may be reimbursed based on the fare rule and current regulations
The Argentinians are on national strike due to the unions being critical of their economic policies. The unions will be striking to ask for a cease in dismissals and suspensions for 60 days, the re-opening of workers’ committees as well as the return of funds for social work. They will be rejecting the Contract Law and Christmas Bonuses being taxed.
We could see more flight disruption across Argentina, especially as the Minister of Work Jorge Triaca stated that the strike this weekend will not have the effect hoped for by the unions. This will mean ultimately that more strikes could occur and disrupt even more flights going down the next 12-18 months.